Guest Professor Quantum Optics: Prof. Jordi Mompart
In the course of his lectures Prof. Mompart will review the interaction of laser light with three-level atomic systems with special emphasis on the Coherent Population Trapping (CPT), Electromagnetically Induced Transparency (EIT) and Stimulated Raman Adiabatic Passage (STIRAP) techniques. Moreover, the basic formulation and some applications such as lasing without inversion and subwavelength state localization will be introduced. Prof. Mompart will also briefly discuss the extension of these techniques to atom optics.
Please note: The introductory level of the lectures make them particularly interesting for master students and young researchers starting their PhD.
1st Lecture (June 28, 9:45-11:15, room 30.23/10-01)
- Motivation: three is much more than two
- Review of two level optical systems: AC-Stark splitting, Dressed atom, Light shifts, Dipole force, Rabi oscillations, Qubit gates, Optical nutation, Rapid Adiabatic Passage, Radiation pressure,…
2nd Lecture (June 29, 14:00-15:30, room 30.23/11-12)
- Three-level optical systems: basic theory, STIRAP, EIT, slow light, Coherent population trapping,…
- The “Riga Nera”: the history of the dark resonances
3rd Lecture (July 3, 11:30-13:00, room 30.23/10-01)
- Applications of three-level optical techniques: lasing without population inversion, subwavelength localization via adiabatic passage
- Three-level atom optics: extension of three-level optical techniques to matter waves
Colloquium of the Physics Faculty (June 30, 15:45-17:15, Lehmann lecture hall)
- Title: Conical refraction: fundamentals and applications
Additionally, Prof. Mompart will be available for discussions at the following times:
June 28 from 15:45-17:15 in room 30.23/10-01.
July 03 from 15:45-17:15 in room 30.23/10-01.
Moreover, during his stay Prof. Mompart can be met upon request (room 30.23/10-02). Please, in order to arrange a meeting get in contact with him via email at jordi.mompart∂uab.cat.
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona