Step 1: Online Application
All international applicants are required to apply online at the International Student Office. Please follow the link 'Online admission' and 'Other Country'.
Please note: In case you can only select to apply for "summer term" instead of "winter term", please select "summer term" in the online form. When you have printed the completed form, just cross out the "summer term" and add in handwriting "winter term". Your application will automatically be categorized for the winter term as the KSOP Master Program only starts in October each year.
The Application Deadline is April 30th every year for the upcoming winter semester (Program Start: October every year). You will receive a first feedback on your application approx. 6 weeks after your application.
Step 2: Submit Printed Application
At the end of your online application you will be asked to print your application documents and send them to the following address:Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) International Student Office Adenauerring 2 76131 Karlsruhe/Germany
You have to enclose the following documents in English in your printed application*:
- Copy of your Bachelor Degree (if the Bachelor degree is not yet available at the closing date for applications but will be completed before the registration, you can apply with a preliminary transcript of records)
- CV in English
- Letter of Motivation (no longer than one page)
- 2 Recommendation Letters (at least one from a professor of your current university, can be attached to your application or sent as a scanned copy via e-mail to the KSOP Office)
- Proof of English Language Proficiency:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum of 570 paper based test, 250 points computer based test or 88 points internet based test (institution code of KSOP: B618) Attention! Only certificates that were sent directly by ETS will be taken into account!
- or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) band with a minimum of 6.5
Please send us a copy including the Test Report Form (TRF) number and we will confirm it with the IELTS Verification Service.
- It is possible to replace the TOEFL or IELTS test with a certificate of your university stating that you have completed your studies in English. The test is not necessary if your mother tongue is English or you have completed your former study program in English. In this case the official language of your former study program has to be mentioned on the final certificate, its supplement or the transcript of records.
- German language skills are no precondition for the program.
* If your certificates need to be translated into English, please hand in a copy of the certified translation into English. Please only hand in copies of your documents because we are not able to send back the documents to you. Upon enrollment at the KIT, you have to show the original certificates and original translations.
- Chinese, Mongolian & Vietnamese Applicants: Please insert an APS certificate or hand it in the latest by April 30th.
- Scholarship Application
If you can prove excellent study results (top 10% of your batch), you can apply for financial support within the scope of the KSOP Scholarship Program. Please attach the scholarship application to your printed application and send it together with your documents. Please also check the offers of other scholarship providers as the number of scholarships is restricted.
Step 3: Admission
You can check the status of your application in the application portal. By middle of June you will be informed about your admission by the International Students Office with an official admission letter called 'Zulassungsbescheid'. The 'Zulassungsbescheid' will be available for download in the application portal.