Step 1: Online Application
German applicants are required to apply online: The application portal is open from April 1 to April 30 every year for the upcoming winter term (program start: October every year). You will receive a first feedback on your application approx. 6 weeks after sending your application.
Step 2: Submit printed Application
At the end of your online application you will be asked to print your application documents and send them to the following address:
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
KIT-Servicezentrum Studium und Lehre
You are required to enclose the following documents in your application:
- Copy of your Bachelor Degree Certificate
(if the Bachelor degree is not yet available at the closing date for applications but will be completed before the registration, candidates can apply with a preliminary transcript of records)
- CV in English
- Letter of Motivation in English (max. one A4 page)
- 2 Recommendation Letters
(at least one from a professor of your current university; can be attached to your application or sent as a scanned copy via e-mail to the KSOP Office)
- Proof of English Language Proficiency:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum of 570 paper based test, 250 points computer based test or 88 points internet based test (institution code of KSOP: B618) Attention! Only certificates that were sent directly by ETS will be taken into account!
- or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) band with a minimum of 6.5.
Please send us a copy including the Test Report Form (TRF) number and we will confirm it with the IELTS Verification Service.
- It is possible to replace the TOEFL or IELTS test with a certificate of your university stating that you have completed your studies in English. The test is not necessary if your mother tongue is English or you have completed your former study program in English. In this case the official language of your former study program has to be mentioned on the final certificate, its supplement or the transcript of records.
- Scholarship Application
If you can prove excellent study results (top 5% of your batch), you can apply for financial support within the scope of the KSOP Scholarship Program. Please attach the scholarship application and send it together with your documents. Please also check the offers of other scholarship providers as the number of scholarships is restricted.
If the certificates and the proof of English language proficiency are in German, you can hand them in in German. The CV and the letter of motivation have to be handed in in English.
Step 3: Admission
You can check the status of your application in the application portal. By middle of June you will be informed about your admission by the Students Office (Studierendenservice) with an official admission letter called 'Zulassungsbescheid'. The 'Zulassungsbescheid' will be available for download in the application portal.